This was the match where it was all supposed to come together for Austin FC.
For the first time ever, the club’s three designated players (DPs) — Dominguez, Pochettino, and Driussi — were on the pitch at the starting whistle.
Less than thirty minutes into the game, the green and black looked like it would make good on its highly-touted lineup. Two early scoring opportunities flashed before Verde fan’s eyes in quick succession.
- Diego Fagundez fired a shot from beyond the 18 that rattled the post
- Hector Jimenez crossed to Tomas Pochettino who got a head on it in the box, but sent it wide
RSL had their own chances too — difference is they capitalized on them. In the 32nd minute, Bobby Wood slotted in a header off the cross past Stuver for a 1-0 lead.
Neither side scored again in the match.
Things only got worse for Austin in the second half. Here’s the lowlights:
- Zan Kolmanic subbed out at HT unable to go after sustaining an injury
- Julio Cascante red carded when referee Dave Gantar went to VAR, after initially awarding a yellow
- Sebastian Driussi sustained a leg injury, after being cleated, and was forced to sub out
- Assistant coach Davy Arnaud was red carded post match
ATXFC sits firmly in last place thanks to its 11th shutout loss in 14 games. Despite playing down a man for most the second half, the club out-possessed RSL with 57.1% possession (88% passing accuracy).
The shot stats tell the story though. When Austin did shoot, only one landed on target. Tons of possession and passing, but none of it translating to shots on goal. The same old story, even with three DPs starting the match.
Total Shots: 10
Shots on Goal: 1
Goals Scored: 0
Brad Stuver continued his heroics between the posts with 7 saves on the night.
Austin FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps at Q2 Stadium, Wednesday (8/18), 8:00 p.m.
- TV: The CW Austin
- Streaming: Austin FC app and AustinFC.com, Univision 62 Austin (Spanish)
- Radio: Alt 97.5FM, TUDN Radio 104.3 (Spanish)