It’s that time of year. We throw sanity out the window and post our 2023 MLS West preseason power ranking predictions.
We won’t bore you with our rankings from last year, but let’s just say we had Austin FC easily making the playoffs in its sophomore season.
Needless to say, you didn’t see Coach Wolff laminating our ATX pick, like other less fortunate national soccer pundits.
To cut to the chase, in Austin’s third year, we don’t see one iota of a drop-off in ranking compared to how the team finished in 2022. Maybe it’s our Verde-tinted glasses, but as long we have a healthy Driussi…the sky’s the limit. In 2023, Austin FC also adds proven MLS goal-scorer Gyasi Zardes.
Cue the drumroll…presenting Capital City Soccer’s 2023 MLS West preseason rankings:
What keeps us up at night about Austin FC’s ranking?
- A healthy roster—Austin was fortunate to avoid major injuries last year
- The grind of three tournaments—CONCACAF Champions League, The Leagues Cup, and U.S. Open Cup
- A slow start—10 goals in its first two games in 2022 set a winning tone
- Emi Rigoni not producing at a DP level
- Ruben Gabrielsen’s absence on defense
- Claudio Reyna’s departure as SD—a summer transfer window without Reyna
- No fodder from MLS soccer pundits to laminate!
Where would you rank Austin FC?
If you purchase through our links, we earn a commission that will help support our content.