To get a snapshot of current fan attendance across MLS, we compiled stadium attendance stats for Week 24 (Sept. 12, 2021) — about two-thirds of the way through the 2021 season.
Now Major League Soccer (MLS) stadiums are experiencing more typical fan attendance levels — similar to those in 2019 — although local health policies may restrict attendance in some stadiums due to COVID-19.
Takeaways for MLS attendance in Week 24:
- Atlanta United, which shares a stadium with NFL’s Falcons, led MLS attendance (42,507) in Week 24, with 9,377 more fans than Seattle Sounders (33,130), second highest in attendance.
- That new stadium smell hasn’t worn off TQL Stadium with 22,636 in attendance for FC Cincy’s match.
- Texas Derby match Houston Dynamo vs Austin FC registered third lowest this week, signaling apathy among Texans for these two clubs ranked at the bottom of MLS standings.
- On paper it looked like an intriguing matchup of 3rd vs 4th place in the West, but Rapids fans aren’t buying in terms of fan turnout (11,736) in the match against LA Galaxy.
- Overall average attendance across MLS in Week 24 was 20,667, compared to 17,343 in Week 17.
Note: official attendance numbers weren’t released for both matches in Canada this weekend.