With just weeks to spare before the first kick off, MLS finally released the entire regular season schedules for all 27 clubs, including the full slate of 34 inaugural season match-ups for Austin FC.
ATXFC plays 17 home and 17 road matches, but only two of those will be against teams in the Eastern Conference. For Austin, those inter-conference fixtures feature particularly juicy pairings — at Nashville SC on May 23 and at home against Columbus Crew on June 27.
COVID-19 has wreaked further havoc on the schedule, leaving an away match against Vancouver in July without a stadium to play in at this time.
Here are some key takeaways to wrap your head around:
- Austin’s debut match is at 5:00 p.m. on April 17 at LAFC, broadcast nationally on FOX. (The club is hosting a limited-seating watch party on the lawn of the Long Center.)
- There will be seven straight road matches for ATXFC, starting with the home opener and finishing on May 29 at Seattle.
- After Seattle, Austin gets a 21-day break before playing its first-ever home game.
- The first home match at Q2 Stadium, features a battle of Silicon Hills vs. Silicon Valley (Austin FC vs. San Jose Quakes on June 19), as previously announced.
- Matchups against Texas MLS rivals won’t take place until August with Houston on August 4 and Austin FC traveling to FC Dallas on August 7. ATXFC also gets a visit from Dallas in a special Heineken Rivalry Week game in late August.
- Six total games will be played against in-state rivals Houston and Dallas. In a devilish twist, all three Texas clubs will be vying for a new supporter group-led “Copa Tejas” trophy.
- Looking at home games by day of week, Austin FC will play five home matches on Wednesdays, one on Thursday, seven on Saturdays, and four on Sundays.
- Plenty of eyeballs will be on the Verde and Black across this great country thanks to eight nationally televised English-language broadcasts. Some MLS clubs are lucky to have two national broadcasts.
- As far as game times for home matches, the scheduling gods showed mercy on fans with 15 of 17 games taking place after 7:00 p.m. to avoid the brunt of the Texas heat.
- Austin FC ends its regular season on MLS Decision Day at the Timbers for a very tree-heavy affair (waiting for the Tifos) at 5:00pm on Nov. 7.
Austin FC 2021 TV broadcast schedule
While the full MLS season schedule has been released, the regional broadcast schedule hasn’t been announced. Eight of the matches will be broadcast nationally on English language TV, which is great publicity for the new club. Games on televised nationally will be on the CW, KXAN, or KBVO regionally. More about Austin FC’s TV broadcasts can be found in our post How to Watch Austin FC in 2021.
|Los Angeles FC||4.17 / 5:00pm||FOX, FOX Deportes|
|Colorado Rapids||4.24 / 8:00pm|
|Minnesota United||5.1 / 7:00pm|
|Sporting KC||5.9 / 6:30pm||FS1|
|LA Galaxy||5.15 / 6:30pm|
|Nashville SC||5.23 / 8:00pm||FS1|
|Seattle Sounders||5.29 / 3:00pm|
|San Jose Earthquakes||6.19 / 8:00pm|
|Minnesota United||6.23 / 7:00pm|
|Columbus Crew||6.27 / 7:00pm||FS1|
|Portland Timbers||7.3 / 8:00pm|
|Los Angeles FC||7.7 / 8:00pm|
|Sporting KC||7.17 / 7:30pm|
|Seattle Sounders||7.22 / 8:30pm||ESPN|
|Vancouver Whitecaps||7.28 / 9:00pm|
|Colorado Rapids||7.31 / 8:00pm|
|Houston Dynamo||8.4 / 8:00pm|
|FC Dallas||8.7 / 7:30pm|
|Real Salt Lake||8.14 / 9:00pm|
|Vancouver Whitecaps||8.18 / 8:00pm|
|Portland Timbers||8.21 / 8:00pm|
|FC Dallas||8.29 / 7:00pm||FS1|
|Houston Dynamo||9.11 / 7:30pm|
|Los Angeles FC||9.15 / 8:00pm|
|San Jose Earthquakes||9.18 / 8:00pm|
|LA Galaxy||9.26 / TBD||ESPN|
|Colorado Rapids||9.29 / 8:00pm|
|Real Salt Lake||10.2 / 2:30pm|
|Minnesota United||10.16 / 8:00pm|
|San Jose Earthquakes||10.20 / 9:30pm|
|Houston Dynamo||10.24 / 3:00pm||ESPN|
|FC Dallas||10.30 / 7:00pm|
|Sporting KC||11.3 / 8:00pm|
|Portland Timbers||11.7 / 5:00pm|