Show notes for the August 11 episode of the Capital City Soccer Show, your independent source for news, analysis and interviews about Austin FC, hosted by Landon Cotham and Jeremiah Bentley.
Episodes available here and in all your favorite podcasting apps.
Joe Lowery on Austin FC's Evolution Since 2021, Vancouver Preview, and more – Moontower Soccer: An Austin FC Podcast
Cecilio Dominguez: Austin FC’s second player (and second Paraguayan)?
Rumors are hot that Austin is on the verge of signing Paraguayan winger Cecilio Dominguez, who is currently under contract with Independiente in Argentina. Landon and Jeremiah talk to Chris Bils about the current status of negotiation between the club and the player’s agent.
The Long and Winding Road to Austin: Chris Bils Interview
The story of how Austin FC came to be is one of twists and turns. Chris Bils, an Ohio native and former Crew intern, was there for the whole ride as a journalist in Austin. This interview included an in-depth look into the entire saga, including three potential ownership groups for an MLS club in Austin. Key points in the journey included:
- Anthony Precourt purchasing the crew from Lamar Hunt, met initially with optimism.
- An early prediction that the Crew would end up in Austin, despite skepticism.
- The tweet heard ’round the soccer world (or at least in Austin and Columbus) from Grant Wahl.
- Various 2018 Austin City Council milestones, including a marathon city council session in June, the stadium vote in August, Leslie Pool’s trip to Columbus and the final deal in December.
- Announcement of the sale of the Crew to an Ohio-based group, clearing the way for both cities to have an MLS franchise.
- Current progress on new stadiums in both Austin and Columbus.
For more from Chris, find him on Twitter.