Austin FC stadium is one step closer to reality—officially breaking ground on Monday, Sept. 9. Construction crews now have the monumental task of building a 24-acre soccer park at McKalla Place by opening day April 2021.
An amazing day at McKalla
We were incredibly blessed to be there for the groundbreaking. My fingers are tingling just writing about the ceremony—which felt more like a celebration. A happy day to reflect on everything achieved so far to bring major league soccer to Austin.
To kick-off the ceremony, speakers from the community voiced what this historical event meant to them.
- CEO Anthony Precourt spoke about what it meant to the club,
- Mayor Adler gave his perspective regarding the city, bringing people from all parts of Austin together,
- MLS president and deputy commissioner, Mark Abbott, talked about what the league sees in Austin FC,
- Alba Mendoza, a fan and Lonestar SC staff member, spoke from a view of playing and following soccer in Austin,
- Local investors Eddie Margain and Matthew McConaughey also stressed what the new club will bring to Austinites.
Best moment of the day
Besides the actual dirt-shoveling perfectly timed to a backdrop of verde-colored pyrotechnics and two big CAT excavators, my personal fave was Austin FC fans, from Austin Anthem SG, chanting “Alright-Alright-Alright” with McConaughey spontaneously joining in. It felt like Austin.
Check out the video of the chant. McConaughey also comes up with some new lyrics.
Austin FC event organizers gave attendees a commemorative drinking glass. Tied to the rim of it was small pouch containing two oak acorns. The glass held a single card with a note from the club.
I’ll leave you with the words inscribed on that card.
“The Austin FC Crest frames two oaks, representing City and Club. The crest symbolizes strength, resilience, togetherness and speaks loudly about who we are, and what we aim to accomplish together.
The two acorns you hold commemorate today’s special occasion. The day we planted the first seeds for the home of Austin FC.
September 9th, 2019 marks another milestone date in the journey which the City and Club continue to grow together.
P.S. Follow the journey of the stadium building with Austin FC’s live construction cam.