One of the most unique things about Austin FC’s stadium site is all the local breweries within walking distance. To prep for the inaugural 2021 season (call it pre-pregaming), we went to seven North Austin breweries—all less than a mile or so from the future venue.
To be clear, this isn’t a “where to watch the game” listicle.
You likely won’t be hanging out at these brewhouses for away games (or home games when you can’t score a ticket). Hell, some of these breweries don’t own a TV. (But don’t fret—Austin FC will have pub partners with watch parties for that.)
While a game-watching atmosphere isn’t their thing, come match day you’ll get a one-of-a-kind pregame experience at any of these breweries—downing delicious pints of local beer, wearing your Austin FC jersey, and talking about the beautiful game with fellow Austin FC fans.
With that said, here’s how breweries can show the love for Austin FC soccer fans in 2021:
- Beer specials
- Short lines
- Austin FC memorabilia on display
- Game day parking
Walking times are estimates. Future stadium entrances may change door-to-gate distances.
4th Tap Brewing Co-Op
Address: 10615 Metric Blvd, 78758 | Distance to Stadium: 0.4 miles (7 minute walk)
4th Tap Website
Level up your drinking game at 4th Tap with a Kung Fu Robot or Highland Scoundrel, among others. Ten taps pour behind a long wooden bar in this decent-sized taproom with strategically-placed picnic tables in the middle. Stacks of board games, arcade games, and a projection screen with the movie du jour complete this chill spot. Bonus level: the door to the right of the bar has seating smack in the beer production area.
- Core beer(s): Kung Fu Robot IPA, Vitality Blonde Ale
- High octane beer: Highland Scoundrel Scotch Ale (10.0% ABV)
- Food truck: Backdraft Pizzeria
- Parking: Plan on parking in a nearby lot
Address: 2314 Rutland Dr #100, 78758 | Distance to Stadium: 0.4 miles (7 minute walk)
Artsy-fartsy Adelberts does ATX brewing weird with Flyin’ Monks, Naked Nuns, and the Philosophizer. Belgian-style ale flows from 12+ taps—to be sipped and savored while eyeing the local art installation. Scattered oak barrel tables make way for foosball, darts, and arcade games in a quaint taproom. On the doorstep of McKalla Place road.
- Core beer(s): Naked Nun Wit, Tripel B Tripel Ale, Philosophizer Saison Ale
- High octane beer: Flyin’ Monks Quadrupel (10.9% ABV)
- Food truck: Various
- Parking: Fills up quickly when people are thirsty
Address: 3001 Industrial Terrace, 78758 | Distance to Stadium: 1.1 miles (23 minute walk)
ABW is a former Austin FC meet & greet locale for good reason. A wall of 20 taps dutifully include the 4 core beers—but don’t dare pass on their hairbrained rotating brews conjured up for taproom drinkers. Speaking of said taproom, can we agree to make up a new word like “taphanger” to describe it? No games, no TVs, just a cavernous space with an army of long tables and those beautiful silver brewing beasts as a backdrop. Farthest of the bunch from McKalla, pedicabs must be wrangled for transport on match day.
- Core beer(s): Peacemaker Ale, Pearl Snap Pils, Fire Eagle IPA, Flavor Country Ale
- High octane beer: Gold Fist Pale Ale (9.0% ABV)
- Food truck: Can-Tina Food Trailer (burgers, sausages, tacos)
- Parking: Surrounding industrial emptiness makes for great weekend parking
Address: 10001 Metric Blvd, 78758 | Distance to Stadium: 0.7 miles (13 minute walk)
Celis is the OG craft brewery in Austin. Nuff said. After disappearing in the 2000s because of some big beer conglomerate bullshit, this Belgian-style brewhouse is back and locally-owned. Harkening to its Central TX roots, a limestone and oak-accented taproom encompasses a circular copper-capped bar in the middle. It’s the best venue of the bunch for game-watching—three large, sufficiently-elevated TVs make for good soccer viewing.
- Core beer(s): Celis White Witbier, Celis Juicy IPA, Celis Pale Bock
- High octane beer: Celis Grand Cru Tripel Ale (8.6% ABV)
- Food truck: Various
- Parking: Head straight to the overflow parking spot next door
Address: 12340 W. Braker Ln, 78758 | Distance to Stadium: 0.5 miles (8 minute walk)
Ironically, you enter Circle through a square. A large open air entrance brings you face-to-face with a long wooden bar in this small, no frills taproom. Get hopped up on one of their many IPAs, or go for the Texas Hefe when it’s hella hot. Located in an industrial cul-de-sac, picnic tables and parking are plentiful outside. Just a hop-skip down Braker to the stadium site.
- Core beer(s): Blur Texas Hefe, Envy Amber
- High octane beer: Party Pig Imperial Porter (9.0% ABV)
- Food truck: Pizza
- Parking: Parking galore on the weekends
Hopsquad Brewing Co.
Address: 2307 Kramer Ln, 78758 | Distance to Stadium: 0.3 miles (6 minute walk)
Hopsquad Brewing Website
Was it Professor Pleasant with the pale ale at the bar? Or Comtesse de Duval with the saison on the patio? In this whodunit for your taste buds, every beer in Hopsquad has its own character. No mystery about where these beers reside though. A bright, cheery exterior beckons you into an airy industrial taproom outfitted with picnic tables, clusters of colorful lounging chairs, and the obligatory foosball table. Hopsquad entices EPL viewers on weekend mornings with a large screen TV showing the matches.
- Core beer(s): Lord Zanate IPA, Professor Pleasant Pale Ale, Comtesse de Duval Saison, Dutchess of Oltorf Roggenbier, Doctor Montopolis Pils
- High octane beer: Lord Zanate IPA (6.9% ABV)
- Food truck: Tsuke Honten (Japanese)
- Parking: Small lot in back so park next door (by Circle Brewing)
Oskar Blues Brewery
Address: 10420 Metric Blvd, 78758 | Distance to Stadium: 0.8 miles (17 minute walk)
Oskar Blues Website
Not born in Texas, but Oskar Blues got here as fast as it could. Its 50,000 feet of indoor drinking space beats the airy conditioned sq. footage of any neighboring drinking hole. A specimen of a bar serves up a dozen of their own beers as well as rotating guest brews. Small TVs perch atop either end of the bar, but the kicker is its music stage. (Game day warm-up spot for future supporters’ group songs?) Outside drinking oasis too.
- Core beer(s): Dale’s Pale Ale, Mama’s Little Yella Pils, Death By Coconut Porter
- High octane beer: Ten Fidy Stout (10.5% ABV)
- Food truck: Wunder Pig Barbecue
- Parking: Parking to spare on either side of the building